Friday, February 12, 2010

Fitness starts NOW!

Alright so im 22 years old now, I started roller derby at 18. I'm 5'0 and always weighed around 110.
I always get asked if I'm a personal gym trainer or get asked how many hours a day I go to the gym.
People think I'm joking and that I'm a huge prick when I tell them I've never been the gym.

Growing up my rollerskating has always been my exersize. I didn't get any boobs till after I quit figure skating.
I always had rock solid abs and bigger muscles in my arms than a lot of dudes...hint my name The Dude.
Funny thing is I can't run cause I get really bad cramps and I start having breathing problems..
So in order for me to run I gotta be getting chased by "the bad guy" lol. I never took gym/PE in school I got out of it because of skating.

When I joined roller derby thats when I had to start excersizing to just survive practice. Those sit ups and pushups are a killer.
It was hard for me to skate half the skating floor due to how hard I push to cover the entire floor I had to train myself to skate a small track and let me tell you there's so many times I hit the wall just flat out of nowhere on the corners cause it was so different to me.

So I started swimming laps and skating super fast around the roller rink during session to gain my endurance. As a Jammer it tends to get super tiring after a Jam especially in a game when your nerves are just after your body! I'm known for doing 2-3 jams in a row, and then passing out. Training myself and exersizing at this new thing was a hassle but worth it in the end. teaching my body and my mind to skate fast continuously pushing on that small track was different to me. I still can't crosspull on the corner edges without hitting a wall and those of you who know and have seen my skating I have to put one foot in front and slide myself across the corners to avoid my safety from the walls let alone the crowd around me.

I started to go to the gym but I never knew how to use any of the equipment and everytime I asked for help I kinda felt unconfortable and humiliated by the look on their face, is this chick for real? Yes common sense to those who have been around just like if you ask me what types of wheels are for what easy for me to answer, understandable but yes I'm serious when I say I don't know how to use any of the equipment.


So I stopped going to the gym due to the embarrassment and all the evil looks people would give me when I walked in as tiny as I am.
So then I got a yoga mat and worked on stretching and I started to walk and run at the school grass area. Finally when those upcoming games came around I could play 3 games in a day with the endurance I trained myself. I quit figure skating with the jumps and spins at like 14, and those are what really kept me in shape and completed my endurance and after I quit I started geting lazy and my endurance slowly slowed down. Me being a great skater became me not being able to be the best skater cause I kept getting tired. So no matter who you are you always need to stay in shape and excersize to a point where your endurance and breathing keep up with you during a game.