Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Injured Soldiers of the Renegade Army



I've been dealing with a chronic injury since May of last year, I initally tore my ACL which healed and was exhaserbated by lateral impact around August, which we get a lot of in derby. After our October bout, I did a take down in which I some how did a somersault while holding the other girl throwing her over my shoulder, in bearing the weight of two people...I tore my meniscus...I had no clue what I had done until later on, it hurt so bad, but what hurt most of all was that I couldn't get back in the game, especially when I was on a roll and taking out like a pimp lol !
I played our November bout and I didn't let the pain get to me...it was mind over matter at that point. Our team founder required a doctor's note for me to skate so I b-lined it to the doctor to get one. She was always very concered for the safety of the girls on the team.
After that I had surgery to repair the tear, it was actually pretty cool and I have a picture of the post op...it was nice and swollen and purple lol...it's in my phone but i don't know how to send it to the computer because I haven't set up an "enterprise e-mail" account...Dang blackberrys.....otherwise, i'd post it up.
I'm good though now, it's been tough watching my comrades skate and I can't sometimes but I stuck it through...It seemed like it would be forever when I heard mid-february till recovery, but hey I made it!!! WOOOO!
So that's my story, through my 2009 season with the Renegade Roller Girls of So Cal, the injuries have been minimal on our team...it's mostly the same people over and over again hahaha. DTP, our team founder has broken her elbow, torn her PCL and a few other things she is probably hasn't told us hahaha.
During the 1/22/10 bout in Arizona, one of the members of the Arizona Renegades broke her ankle right in front of me! In irony, it was the same place that one of our former members broke her ankle during the season opener in January of 09. It was horrible...my gut instinct is to run over and try to make the person feel better, but you can't do anything to help, I still cringe thinking about it...it must have been excruciating, I hope she is doing ok.
I've seen a lot of girls fall hard and just need a minute to take that fall in and then they get right back up again...when I see that, I'm like damn, the women of derby are amazing.
There are a number of reasons why girls get injured, some are because we try too hard, or too little, or we take the game personally and start taking it out on others....or shit just happens sometimes...it's what we do, if I didn't know the risk, I'd be playing tennis or golf or something, but that requires balls flying everywhere really fast and that's even scarier hahahaha!
Hope everyone had a Happy Valentine's Day!!!!!